Bone Density Testing
Scheduling Office: (413) 664-5405 (Mon-Fri 8 a.m. - 5:15 p.m.)
It’s been described as the most pleasant health screening there is! Bone density testing gives your doctor an accurate assessment of your risk of osteoporosis. This highly sensitive scan can detect very small changes in the density of your bones. It’s very safe, too – a bone density scan exposes you to less radiation than a typical chest x-ray.
The scan takes just a few minutes, and please don't take any calcium or calcium supplements on the day of the exam. You can wear street clothes to the hospital on the day of your bone density test.
An important note: Experts recommend that you have all your bone density studies at the same facility, with the same machine, and whenever possible, the same technologist.
Who should have a bone density test?* (Guidelines from the National Osteoporosis Foundation)
- all postmenopausal women under age 65 who have one or more additional risk factors for osteoporosis (in addition to being postmenopausal and female)
- all women age 65 and older regardless of additional risk factors
- postmenopausal women who sustain a fracture
- women who are considering therapy for osteoporosis if bone density testing would facilitate the decision
- women who have been on hormone replacement therapy (HRT/ERT) for prolonged periods